Sunday, November 9, 2008

A Marlee Matlin update

Academy-award winning deaf actress Marlee Matlin is keeping busy. According to The National Ledger, she is at the editing stage of her memoir, "I'll Scream Later." She will also be part of a 37-city live tour this winter of celebrities from ABC's "Dancing with the Stars." And finally, the fifth season of "The L Word," in which Matlin stars with long-time friend Jennifer Beals is now out on DVD.


She's scheduling book promotion time, plus a lengthy road tour for next year. The "Dancing With the Stars" alumna isn't discussing the latter as yet, but she already knows she'll be away from home much of 2009.

"I know I'll miss my kids, but I'm grateful that they'll be visiting me," she tells us in a written interview, referring to her children with hubby Kevin Grandalski.

"I couldn't do it without my husband, who is there 24/7. I've often said that as a child I imagined myself as Marcia Brady, who just happened to be deaf, but now with four kids I've grown into Alice the Maid. But that's OK because my husband is like Alice's Sam the Butcher, ever dependable and always there to fill in."

Already a best-selling author of young people's books, the deaf actress, who won 1986 Best Actress Oscar honors for "Children of a Lesser God" says, "I decided to write about my life now because so many thousands of people wrote in to tell me how much I inspired them as a result of doing what I did on 'Dancing With the Stars.' I realized then that there were parts of my life that I had never spoken of but which might inspire others if I shared them. I've had my obstacles that I've overcome in my life related to my deafness, but that's only a small part of who I am."

"The L Word" has been a prominent part of her life since being signed to play deaf sculptor Jodi, erstwhile girlfriend of Bette (Jennifer Beals, Marlee's close pal) on the show that just got its fifth-season DVD release this week. "We had always hoped to work together ever since we met in New York City 20 years ago," she says. "And we finally did on 'The L Word.' … It was fantastic. The icing on a very delicious cake."