Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Blind woman, guide dog turned away from British restaurant

From The Telegraph in the UK:

Emma Donnelly, 20, was told that her dog Yasmin was a health and safety hazard and was not even allowed in the door of the Tandoori Nights in Exeter, Devon.

She was turned away even though she carries a card issued by the city's environmental health department certifying she and Yasmin are allowed into any premises.

Ms Donnelly has now complained to the disability rights commission which and the Guide Dogs for the Blind Association which is supporting her case.

She has been almost totally blind since birth and two-year-old Labrador retriever Yasmin is her first guide dog.

She said: "I was out with a couple of friends and I had my guide dog which had only qualified just over a month before and was my first guide dog.

"We decided to go to an Indian restaurant but I did not even get in the door. A man came out and said Yasmin was a health and safety hazard.

"He said she was not allowed in even though I carry a special card from the environmental health department saying she is allowed into any premises because she is so highly trained and groomed.

She added: "I felt really upset and disgusted. It is the first time I have been refused entry to any shop.

"Obviously I could not see for myself by my friends told me the restaurant was almost empty to it is not as if she would have been in anyone's way.

"We went on to another restaurant called the Chadni and they were very nice and welcomed us in.

"I have complained to the Guide Dogs for the Blind Association and to the disability rights people who say they will investigate."

Guide Dogs spokesman Chris Dyson said: "It is against the Disability Discrimination Act not to let a blind person in with their guide dog.

"We can reassure restaurants out dogs are trained to a very high standard to sit next to their owner or under the table. In most cases people don't notice they are there."

The case was been reported to the Equality and Human Rights Commission which took over the duties of the Disability Discrimination Commission last year.

A spokesman at Tandoori Nights in South Street, Exeter, said they did not want to comment.