Thursday, December 4, 2008

Blind woman in New Zealand becomes certified to work as nanny

From the Western Leader in New Zealand:

She’s young, enthusiastic and about to launch a nannying career.

Plucky go-getter Leyna Coleman, 20, is also blind.

But she says her disability won’t stop her from doing the job she’s trained for.

"I use my other senses quite a lot – particularly touch and hearing," the Ranui resident says. "I have learned so many techniques that I can use to just get on with it."

Leyna, who was born blind, graduated last week as a nanny.

She has spent the last year taking two train trips and two taxi rides from her home to the training centre in Papatoetoe.

She discovered it at the start of the year while searching for a career path.

"I began talking to them and knew that this was what I wanted to do," she says.

Leyna says her blind mother Dawn is her greatest inspiration.

"Mum is my role model in many ways, she has taught me to not let a disability stand in the way of achieving.

"And in practical terms, throughout my study, I could call on her experience as a blind mum and ask her how she did things."

Centre spokeswoman Lorraine Appleton has never heard of any other totally blind person successfully completing the training.

She says her initial reaction to Leyna’s application was one of encouragement.

"Why not? she says. "Why should loss of sight mean someone can’t achieve?"

Leyna achieved her goal with the help of staff and tutors and has acquired a national certificate in early childhood education and care.

She worked with children as part of her training and says she is well capable of fulfilling the role.

"In the initial stages, when I’m still learning how to navigate around a space, the kids come and help.

"They take real pride in doing that, they like to be helpful.

"And I also know to listen for the child’s responses."

Leyna hopes to find a position caring for children with special needs because she knows they can also achieve with care and encouragement.

"Often parents don’t know how a child can develop and what they can do. I know how to find other ways of doing things.

"I can show parents that their kids can succeed."

Lorraine says Leyna is an inspiration to others.

"She is an amazing young lady. She lives alone and is fully independent and an example to others with disabilities.

"And what better role model as a nanny could there be for parents of a special needs children."