Thursday, December 4, 2008

Deaf major league baseball player takes over as coach of Gallaudet team

From Channel 8 TV in Washington, D.C.:

WASHINGTON - A history-making major league player has taken the reigns of a local university baseball program, but he won't be able to communicate with most of his players - at least not verbally.

Curtis Pride became the head baseball coach at Gallaudet University. Even though Pride is deaf, he has never needed to use sign language. Pride wants to teach his team at Gallaudet the fundamentals of baseball and life.

"You should always believe that you're capable of pursuing your dream just like any other normal person."

He took over the baseball program at the beginning of December 2008.

"I've had fairly few, fairly limited coaching experiences, but you know because I've learned a lot working with other players, professional players and coaches."

Pride made history in the 90's as the first full-season deaf player in the major league.
"And so I have a lot to offer to the Gallaudet students, whether it be baseball players or football players or even students on campus, that I'm, you know, that I'm there for them, that I can help them, you know, pursue their dream and goals."

Players say his story is inspiring.

"I was always the only deaf guy on my baseball team and it really wasn't very interesting for me until I came to Gallaudet," said senior John Moore Jr. He joined the team in 2007 for, what he calls, a so-so season. "Uh, 4 wins and 28 or 29 losses. Yeah I know."

Now with Pride in charge, Moore says his teammates have hope for this season. Across the campus, there's more interest in the baseball program.

"It shows us the potential and motivates us," said Moore.

Pride has got a lot of work to do. Not only is he meeting his players and coaching staff, he's also learning how to communicate with them. Pride was born deaf and never took up sign language, but he can lip read.

"I will have some interpreters, but mostly I will have these kids help me, teach me some sign language. I'll probably have to take a class to learn more," said Pride.

He says he also hopes to run baseball camps for high school students who are deaf or hard of hearing, but his top priority will be building up the baseball program at Gallaudet. The season starts in February.