Thursday, December 11, 2008

Disabled people included in annual Islamic Haj

From Arab News:

MINA, Saudi Arabia -- A number of disabled people performed Haj this year. They were seen in almost every Haj camp.

“Being a disabled person did not prevent me from performing pilgrimage,” said Ahmad Mustafa, an Egyptian pilgrim who became handicapped after paralysis.

Mustafa added that he never used his disability as an excuse to delay or cancel any of his Islamic duties.

“I prayed Allah to help me in completing my Haj and also for my marriage,” he said. “I did not want to watch others around performing pilgrimage and me not sharing with them the spirit of Haj just because I am a disabled person.”

Muhammad Ahmad, a blind Mauritanian pilgrim, said he could hear Takbir but had a desire to see the holy sites. He said he loved the experience at the holy sites.

“My blindness is the primary cause for my complete belief in Allah,” he said. “Haj is a crucial duty and my disability does not prevent me from doing it. I live and offer my prayers in ease and comfort,” he said adding that some religious figures have achieved success despite being blind.

Lebanese pilgrim Izat Fatin, who lost his leg in an attack in Lebanon, said that this trip proved that he and other handicapped people can do what a normal person does while performing Haj.

“I see how people look at me with mercy and how they seek to help me for the sake of Allah,” he said. “I feel proud when I refuse to take any help from anyone and stand with one leg and a crutch and do whatever any normal person can do.”

A religious leader at a Haj camp, who is blind, said that it is a good thing that a disabled has to put in more efforts than a normal person to perform a religious duty.

Disabled people should concentrate on their prayers while they are in the holy land and should not consider their disabilities as obstacles or a cause of sadness.”