Friday, May 1, 2009

Adaptive driving program gets more people with disabilities out and about

From KY3-TV:

SPRINGFIELD, Mo. -- Susan Rhudy rarely passes up an opportunity these days to get behind the wheel.

"It's just so liberating I just can't even explain it," said Rhudy.

Rhudy suffers from spina bifida. Two years ago she had a complication that left her unable to use her right leg and unable to drive.

"It was really difficult," Rhudy said.

She was basically homebound but not anymore thanks to St. John's health system's driving rehabilitation program and her instructor, Mindy Smithwick.

"You push for the break then you're going to rock it back for the gas," said Smithwick, an occupational therapist at St. John's.

Instead of pushing the pedals with her feet, Rhudy uses her hands, pushing what looks like a video game joystick.

"One of the things that was kind of strange is, every once in a while, I would push forward for the gas because your foot pushes forward," said Rhudy.

Once Rhudy got the hang of it, she was driving all over town.

"This way, I can get out and go see my grandkids that are in Nixa; I can go shopping; I can go to the library. Things that you just naturally do and don't even think about, I can do again," Rhudy said.

"My goal is to try to keep everybody on the road. I know how important driving is to me and I've seen how important it is to so many of my patients," said Smithwick.

The program helps people like Rhudy who now have their freedom back.

"Just to be able to get out and do whatever you want to do that day," said Rhudy.

St John's just received a $45,000 grant to cover the patient cost of this program. The price is $100 an hour and usually requires six to 10 hours of training plus the cost of adaptive equipment.

Without the grant, the instructor said, many seniors could not afford to pay and often stopped driving as a result.