Sunday, May 10, 2009

Disabled vets gain hope from possible future Paralympics competition

From KOMO-TV in Washington state:

PIERCE COUNTY, Wash. -- Wounded soldiers no longer fighting in Iraq are now fighting another battle at home.

The soldiers are looking for a chance to compete; they want to feel apart of something again. It's this drive that brought them out to American Lake for a good workout despite their war wounds.

Sgt. Jeffrey Brown was wounded by sniper fire.

"Got hit, shot through the hip," he said.

Brown lost his right leg, but not his determination.

"I'm hoping to stay in the active Army, active duty military, hopefully in the capacity of competing in the Paralympics for the military," he said.

Brown and his fellow soldiers are looking for a spot on the London-bound 2012. The three-day training camp being hosted at American Lake highlights a number of events, including sit-down volleyball, swimming and track and field events.

It's not just the physical activity that the soldiers value; It's the mental stimulation as well. The activities bring them outdoors and give them a sense of freedom.

Sgt.1st Class Lucritia Gayle is a police New York police officer who was on duty on Sept. 11. She's also an Army reservist and was wounded in Baghdad. But she has no regrets.

"I don't have any words to explain it. I wish I could have stayed out there longer, all day," she said.

Even though these soldiers are from different parts of the country, they're all part of the Warrior Transition Battalion, special units that help injured soldiers get back to their units or retire from active duty. They all have one thing in common -- not letting their injuries stop them.

"I was a paraplegic. They told me I'd never walk again," said former Navy diver Tony Davis. "So any way I can get to move (is great)."

"It opens up a new thing for me, because it actually shows me I can do something different than what I thought I could do, and have fun with and help other people," said Army Spec. Jeffrey Sigerson.

The war took them down, but athletics are bringing them back up.