Monday, May 11, 2009

Florida spray-paint artist with CP performs his art

From the St. Petersburg Times:

Painting doesn't have to be confined to conventional oils and acrylics, although Dave Siddens (pictured) sometimes does work with them. Siddens, 37, is a spray-paint artist. Using simple tools like lids from pots and pans, spray paint and poster board, the Illinois native has created everything from a 9/11 tribute to island sunsets and views from outer space. He "performs" daily at Sunset at Pier 60 in Clearwater Beach, weather permitting. Siddens has cerebral palsy, but he doesn't look at this as a setback. He has overcome it through painting and entertaining his audiences.

How did you get into your field?

When I lived in San Francisco I attended an open art studio program. While there I met a guy who was a spray-paint artist at Fisherman's Wharf. He showed me the basics of this art form, and then I worked hard to develop my own technique.

What is your favorite thing about what you do?

Crowd performance gives me real satisfaction. It challenges my mind to create a piece of artwork in just a few minutes with just a couple of spray cans and paint scrapers.

Do you do anything other than spray paint art?

I love painting landscape pictures with acrylics and oils. I have painted wall murals and vehicles.

What is your typical day like?

I wake up every morning with a good outlook in life and thank God for everything he has given me. I then will either do one of three things: practice painting, go to the beach and get some sun, or go to Starbucks with my notepad to write poetry or draw before work. After work I will usually relax and reflect on the day.

How much does a person in your profession earn per year?

It depends on how much the artist works and/or how much they sell his or her paintings for. It also depends where he or she performs at. You can make anywhere between $40,000 and $70,000 a year. My cost for my customers varies with the size of the painting, but right now on the beach I sell my paintings for only $15 for a 14- by 22-inch piece.

What has been your biggest challenge as a spray-paint artist?

My biggest challenge with this art form for me has been to create my own style using just one hand.

What are your future goals for your career?

To keep having my customers or onlookers walk away from watching me paint with amazement and a smile. I also would love to find a style of my own that no one has ever thought of and make it my trademark in the arts.

How does a person get into spray-paint art?

Because of my cerebral palsy, I've had to create my own unique way of painting, but you can purchase instructional videos on the Internet, watch and talk to other spraypaint artists, or, if you're determined, try it yourself like I did.

Why were you interested in spray-paint art?

I've been painting and drawing since I was in the sixth grade. I was interested in (spray-paint) art for the challenge of it. I'm a very diverse person and I've been able to travel to some wonderful places. I've met people from all over the world, and to know that my artwork is going all over the world instead of staying in one community interests me.