Friday, June 5, 2009

Jamaican government provides financial assistance to disabled entrepreneurs

From The Gleaner in Jamaica. In the picture, Minister of state in the Ministry of Labour and Social Security, Andrew Gallimore, assists Doreen Jagaroo (seated) after handing her a cheque at a ceremony at the ministry recently. Looking on is Denise Salmon, another recipient of support from the Economic Enablement Project (EEP).


People's drive to start their own businesses these days is often limited by fear, or the lack of the will to become their own boss.

Being disabled, especially in the current economic crisis, does not help. But, the Government, through its Economic Enablement Project (EEP), is helping those who believe that, despite their personal challenges and the economic crisis, the hurdles of entrepreneurship can be surmounted.

In keeping with this thrust, minister of state in the Ministry of Labour and Social Security, Andrew Gallimore, recently handed out cheques to five persons with disabilities to start their own businesses.

In issuing the cheques, Gallimore implored them to invest the money wisely.

"This investment by the Govern-ment is to ensure that persons who are disabled will be self-sufficient, and not dependent on anyone," he said. "I am, however, asking you to spend this money wisely and make sure that it will impact your lives ... These days are very tough, and persons in your position won't find it easy."

One of the recipients, 34-year-old Wilton Edwards, is among approximately 130 persons who are to receive cash assistance worth $70,000.00 each under the project which is for persons with disabilities.

Although he has been operating a small graphics business for one year, Edwards said he was extremely overwhelmed. He said the assistance would make a big difference in the expansion of his business.

"I am very appreciative and I am very grateful for it, because it will take me a far way and do a lot for me," he said.

Edwards, who permanently uses a wheelchair, said he was inspired by his disability to start his own business. According to him, he needed to do something that he could easily handle.

"I have to do something that I can do well without the hackle ... so I decided to equip myself with the knowledge of the computer, and then I realised that there are a lot of fields in it, so I decided to make use of my knowledge," he explained.

He said his ultimate goal was to expand his business and employ persons from his community.

"The next five to ten years, I am looking at a great expansion, where I will even employ persons from my community. I am also in the process of finding a name for the business," he said.

He added that the name will be something uplifting and synonymous with prosperity.

He also received additional assistance from the Jamaica Council for Persons with Disabilities (JCPD), and said he was willing to not only employ but provide assistance for persons in his community.

"The JCPD was very helpful, way before they helped me get this monetary assistance ... so, as time goes on and things pick up, I am willing to help someone the way I got help. I will try and find out what their needs are and how best I can assist," he said.

He is also advising persons not to use their disability as an excuse to not be prosperous in life.

"My word of advice is that persons who are disabled should not let their challenges get in the way of them achieving. Do not use it as an excuse to say, 'I can't help myself, so I am going to beg'. Irrespective of what you are going through, there is always something that you can do to better enhance yourself. Don't depend on others, equip yourself as much as you can to survive," he urged.

In the meantime, 49-year-old Doreen Jagaroo from Buff Bay, Portland, who is also a beneficiary of the EEP, said she would be using the funds to start a poultry farm.

She believes she will get support from her community, as well as adjoining communities.

Jagaroo, who is also confined to a wheelchair, said she has a family to feed and will not allow her disability to get the better of her.

"I decided to start a business because I am at home not doing anything, due to my disability. I also have a 14-year-old daughter in school. I decided to rear chickens. I did not have anything to start with, because I had no money, so when I heard about this project, I was happy to seek the assistance."

Although she is grateful for the assistance, she said she was still in need of equipment to put her in a better position.

"In rearing chickens, I will need other things, such as a deep freeze. I am trying to get that now. I am going to register with the Rural Agricultural Development Authority, which will put me in a better position to get advice," she said.

Jagaroo also encouraged persons to work toward their goals and not use disability to keep them down.

"I want to encourage persons with disability not to let go or give up. Put yourself in a position to get help, so that you can do things for yourself and not depend on other people. I try my best not to depend on anyone. When I was not doing this, I used to sit at home and do crochet and I learn a little craft and other things that can keep me occupied."

The Government's $15 million Economic Enablement Project is a provision, created by Prime Minister Bruce Golding last year, as an effort to assist persons who are disabled.

Of that amount $10 million was set aside to help with EEPs and $5 million to help with adaptive aids. A total of 250 people have already been approved for benefits and 135 in total have already received their benefits.