Friday, July 10, 2009

Buffalo, N.Y., hosts amputee golf tournament

From WIVB-TV:

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. -- The game of golf can be frustrating enough but imagine trying to play without two arms or two legs. A group of Buffalo golfers say "no problem".

Peter Fenn can still hit the ball straight off the tee and Ed Krayewski's short game is still working well They may look and play just like any other golfers, until you look a little closer and you see that both Peter and Ed are amputees.

July 10, they'll play in the first annual Buffalo Amputee Golf Classic. The idea for the tournament came from Peter's love for the game of golf.

Fenn said, "So I thought I want to do something around here. I have a passion for golf, I'm an amputee. It was kind of elective for me to be an amputee. I had a foot problem. I play golf. So we're going to put them together."

Krayewski said, "You're dealing with someone who's got the same problems; who got up in the morning and they're stump is sore. They're not sure whether they can finish they're round because they're in pain and aggravation."

Feen, a former golf pro, said it's been an adjustment since his surgery one year ago, "It's been different. Its a little numb in my left leg. I turn on that. I try to turn on that. I've got to work with that. I've worked with a golf pro in the area a little bit. I've worked on my swing. It's gonna take time."

Krayewski said, "We've had fellows who are double-amps, missing in some cases both arms, who can still play. It's amazing. If you were here to see the performances of these people, it's awe-inspiring."

There will be 72 golfers in this year's amputee tournament. Down the road, Peter is hoping to attract even more; especially recent war veterans who would like to get back into playing the game of golf.

The first annual Buffalo Amputee Golf Classic will take place Friday July 10 at noon at Harvest Hill Country Club in Orchard Park.