Saturday, July 18, 2009

MS community service organization in California to close its doors

From KION-TV:

SALINAS, Calif. -- Tim and Terri Bennett have known each other for more than 50 years. When they got married they never dreamed that Multiple Sclerosis would touch their lives. But right now Terri Bennett is hospitalized with M.S., " When you take your wedding vows it says in good times and in bad in sickness and in health well we had 35 years of a great life and now we are having our sickness so you know it's my turn to take care of her," said Bennett.

Tim Bennett has helped take care of his wife who has M.S. for more than 10 years, "On really bad days I have to get her out of bed. I have to feed here. I have to give her a bath, I have to give her a shower, wash her hair and put her in a wheel chair," said Bennett.

Two years ago, it became too much for the couple, and Tim called the Multiple Sclerosis Community Service Organization. Janice Wermuth was there to help, "She came over here and told me all the things that they offer and it was like wow. This is so cool because I don't have insurance and for me to get crutches or a cane or wheelchair for her. I don't have that kind of money," said Bennett.

Wermuth says the Bennett's are like dozens of families dealing with M.S. that turned to M.S.C.S. for help over the years, "It's very emotional I have a group in a nursing home in Santa Cruz, 14 of them and they are all going to go without help from us. It's very hard," said Bennett.

When M.S.C.S. closes their doors at the end of the month people like Tim and terry Bennett, say they don't know where else to go for help, "The only thing that's helping me and my wife keep going is faith in God. That's it. There is nothing else," said Bennett.

The Multiple Sclerosis Community Service Center is now trying to help couples like Terry and Tim find help with other organizations. But executive director Janice Wermuth says, times are tough, and many other non profit agencies are struggling too.

Without grants and individual donors the M.S.C.S. will close its doors at the end of the month. The non profit served Monterey, Santa Cruz, and San Benito Counties.