Monday, September 14, 2009

Iowa artist with dyslexia finds her place in the art world

From The Daily News in Newton, Iowa:


By most accounts Allicia Cannon (pictured) has been counted out.

The 27-year-old woman openly talks about her learning disability and mental illness and how some have either smirked at her artwork or simply ignored it. But that hasn’t stopped Cannon. In fact, the hurdles she’s had to jump to get her art recognized have seemingly made her more determined than ever.

That’s why on Sept. 15 when her art is featured at kreativ, ent. in Newton, Iowa, she sees it as a huge success likened to a gallery opening in New York City or one of her pieces hanging in the Met.

“This means the world to me,” she said. “I’ve actually done something to achieve my goals and I’ve accomplished something. For people to see my work it’s my biggest goal in the world. This means a lot. I think it’s a miracle.”

Cannon isn’t exaggerating. It’s apparent when talking with the young artist that her work means a great deal to her and the opportunity to have a show dedicated to her is a dream come true.

“This show may not mean a lot to someone else but to me it means everything to me,” she said. “I’m really proud of myself.”

Cannon has a lot to be proud of. She has managed to deal with her learning disability and bipolar disorder and attend college classes, fine tune her artistic skills and learn some valuable lessons.

“I would want to say to anyone who has a disability like me to just keep practicing on what you love. Practice makes perfect,” she said. “It doesn’t matter if it’s art, football or whatever, just keep working hard on the thing you love.”

The Newton woman’s work is imaginative and colorful and she said that through her art she’s learned a great deal about herself.

“If there’s anything I want people to get out of this if someone comes to the show is that if they are a child or person who is disabled, has a mental illness, depression, has a learning disability, or maybe just a little quirky that it’s OK,” she said. “Don’t worry about what other people say you have to be proud of yourself and who you are.”

Cannon’s work will be on display and she will be present during a reception at kreativ, ent. from 5 to 7 p.m. Tuesday. The event is free and open to the public.

“Art has helped me concentrate and overcome my disability and achieve my goals. This show shows I’ve really achieved my goal.”