Sunday, September 13, 2009

Saudi wheelchair user teaches mothers how to help educate their disabled children

From Arab News:

RIYADH, Saudi Arabia -- Although she is bound to a wheelchair, Reham Omaran helps teach people how to deal with kids with autism, ADHD and other developmental challenges.

“The idea of starting classes to teach mothers how to deal with autistic kids began when I was 19,” she said. “I could not go to the college I wanted to attend because of the wheelchair. I then realized the great need of doing something to benefit mothers who have lost hope and do not know what to do.”

Omaran teaches mothers and teachers at her home where she conducts special education seminars using modern techniques based on the education she was able to acquire studying abroad.

She focuses on teaching different skills that help mothers communicate with their children.

“I believe all kids should have proper education,” she said. “I totally understand the mother’s pain of not being able to enjoy life fully and get her children the education they deserve.”

Omaran has faced challenges in her attempt to be involved in special education — and not necessarily because she’s physically challenged. “The idea of a woman teaching (special education) in Saudi Arabia is not really accepted,” she said. “It is really frustrating, as teaching is the only job I can do.” Still, Omaran says she hopes to some day start a special-education school.

Aneesa Rodwan, one of the mothers who attend the classes, said she came out of curiosity about what Omaran can offer to help raise her autistic child.

“I was so curious to know more about my child’s condition,” said Rodwan. “Reham made it really easy for me and for all the mothers who have autistic children to realize there are no miracles to cure our kids and make them equal to others, so we have to look for their strengths and stop wasting our time trying to make them ordinary.”

Omaran’s mother has been a force of inspiration and backs her daughter’s efforts.

“I thought that my daughter would never be able to smile and make a change in someone’s life,” said Um Reham.

“I felt that we are going to help her always. I never realized that eventually she would become the most significant member of the family with her outgoing spirit and enthusiasm.”