Saturday, November 21, 2009

"America's Next Top Model" runner-up talks about her dyslexia

From RealityWanted:

This week, on the finale of America’s Next Top Model, it came down to two girls: Nicole Fox and Laura Kirkpatrick (pictured). Though Laura brought Southern charm and a fierce runway walk to the table, she could not outdo Nicole, a panel favorite all season long. Today, Laura spoke to RealityWanted in an exclusive interview about her experiences on the show and opens up about her dyslexia and her thoughts on Nicole.

Q. Gina, RealityWanted: You mentioned that you are very close with your family on the show, how did feel when they heard you were a Top Model finalist?
A. Laura: Oh my gosh, they could not believe it! Nobody expects you to actually make it. Not that I couldn’t do it, but it’s such a wonderful opportunity. I didn’t really know anything until I go the call. They were like, “No way!” I could not believe it! When I got home, they were so excited. It was worse than waiting for Christmas to them.

Q. Gina, RealityWanted: What is the best piece of advice you received from the judges this cycle?
A. Laura: Definitely to keep your personality because there’s a million beautiful faces in the world but if you’re fun and easy to work with, they’re going to choose you to work with. Nobody wants to work with a girl that’s a diva or bitchy or demanding. There are so many options that they have so they’re going to go for the pretty face and the personality. That’s definitely something that I’ve always had throughout my life, my personality, that I can

Q. Gina, RealityWanted: Can you talk about the challenges of doing the Cover Girl commercial, considering you have dyslexia?
A. Laura: Yeah, when I first came into the competition, that was my worst fear – that I’d make it to the Cover Girl commercial because I was so scared to read a script on national television. That’s something that I was really scared of. I was scared people would call me dumb. It made me face my fear and helped me get over it. I might not be able to read as fast as everybody but I’m confident enough to be okay with reading in front of anyone.

Q. Gina, RealityWanted: How difficult and stressful was that final runway challenge, especially with the rain?
A. Laura: It was crazy! Thank goodness runway is something I’m confident in. IT was hard to walk on that slick floor, with something on my head, and tight shoes, and the wind blowing! I wasn’t that nervous.

Q. Gina, RealityWanted: I’m sure it must have been tough to make it all the way to the very end and then not win, but what is your opinion of Nicole?
A. Laura: I’m really not sad that I lost to Nicole because she is a strong competitor. Her pictures were just gorgeous throughout the whole competition. I know that I’ll be successful. I have no hard feelings. I’m happy for her.

Q. Gina, RealityWanted: Which photo shoot was your favorite?
A. Laura: Definitely the Cirque de Soleil. I loved it before I even went on the show. When I found out I was doing a photo shoot with them, I went insane!

Q. Gina, RealityWanted: Which is your favorite part of modeling: runway, editorial or commercials?
A. Laura: It’s definitely between runway and editorial definitely. I’ve practiced runway forever. My mom worked on my walk since I could probably walk. I was walking in heels by 15 and I’ve become confident.

Q. Gina, RealityWanted: What are your future plans?
A. Laura: I know that I have to be more open with modeling. I’m definitely not going to turn down acting or anything in that category because I need to be realistic. I’m open to anything!