Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Saudi king pays for the Haj of 50 deaf people from around the world

From The Saudi Gazette:

MAKKAH – King Abdullah, Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques, has this year paid for the Haj of 50 deaf people from 10 countries around the world.

Abdul Rahman Al-Fehaid, the supervisor of the program, said the pilgrims have been able to move around easily and perform the necessary rituals.

“These people have come from 10 countries and they were hosted by the King of Humanity, who helped them to achieve their dream of performing Haj. We explained to them the method of performing the rites. Thanks to Allah, things have moved smoothly.”

Issam Al-Sharqi, a 28-year-old deaf Canadian national of Tunisian origin, said it has been a dream come true for him.

“After turning 15, I immigrated to Canada. There I learnt English and French in six months. I also obtained a high school certificate and joined an institute
specializing in teaching electronics. Now I hold a technical certificate. Later, I got Canadian nationality by a verdict from the courts. I am working at an institute for the manufacture of planes. I longed to perform Haj and my dream has come true.”
Fahd Bin Numay, a Saudi national, said he lost his hearing ability because of a fever when was a baby.

“I lived as a deaf person and I used to help my father at his farm in Hotat Sudair. When I grew up, I moved to Riyadh and was admitted to school. I obtained a secondary school certificate and married. Then I worked at the Ministry of Finance. I have been blessed with seven children and my eldest son is studying at university.”
Ali Yusuf from the United Arab Emirates (UAE) said he was born in Sharjah and has been deaf since birth.

“I relocated to Kuwait where I learned how to type and got a certificate. After that I returned to Sharjah and worked at the municipality. Whenever I asked a girl’s hand in marriage, they would reject me because I was deaf, so I decided to go to India. Now I’m working as a second lieutenant in the UAE Ministry of Interior. I was gradually promoted by the military and retired with the rank of Major.”

Al-Fehaid, who supervises the group by using sign language, said the program has been running for the past 22 years.

“The program is conducted at the expense of King Abdullah, Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques. Every year we choose 50 deaf people to perform Haj. We are keen that it should be, by turn, between men and women every year. However, women have to be accompanied by a Mahram.”

“Every year about 300 deaf people submit applications to perform Haj and we choose 50 of them by draw. We provide them with various cultural programs, contests and lessons on Haj and Islamic education in sign language.”

Among the pilgrims who have come on Haj is a family consisting of a father, mother and eight children, who are all deaf. At their home, the father uses lights as a language to communicate with his children and wife.