Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Wheelchair users show their love of dance in Delaware program

From Sussex Countian:

NEW CASTLE, Del. - For the moments she spends on the dance floor, 28 year-old Lindsay (pictured) is in her own world and forgets that she lives with Cerebral Palsy and uses a wheelchair.

“When I am on the dance floor I feel like I am a princess with my prince,” Lindsay, of Bear, said. “It makes me feel like I don’t have a disability. I feel like I am using my legs and I am no longer in my wheelchair.”

Lindsay has been taking ballroom dance lessons at the University of Delaware for the last two years. Of the dances taught – the waltz, rumba, foxtrot, tango and cha cha – the waltz is her favorite. She was embarrassed at first, but the class taught her how to use her wheelchair and signals to communicate with her dance partner.

Lindsay attends Easter Seals Adult Day Health Services everyday, a service that allows participants to enjoy educational, social and physical fitness activities at Easter Seals centers. These services provide a break to caregivers so they can work or attend to other needs.

Lindsay was able to share her love of dance with the participants of ADHS one day through a demonstration.

The class she takes is designed for people who use wheelchairs to learn how to social dance with a standing partner. But it also benefits therapists, dance teachers, adaptive sports professionals or anyone interested in working with wheelchair users. The class is offered twice a year at the University of Delaware and can be taken for course credit.