Friday, March 19, 2010

Malaysia learns that independence is possible for children with Down syndrome

From Bernama:

KUALA LUMPUR -- Despite the public's general perception against those with Down Syndrome, many with this genetic disorder have proven that they too can have a career apart from being independent.

One of them is 35-year-old Eugene Wong Fyot-Yeong who is the administrative assistant at the Kiwanis Down Syndrome Foundation-National Centre (KDSF-NC) in Petaling Jaya.

"I joined KDSF-NC, then located at Jalan Gasing (in Petaling Jaya) in the year 2000, after receiving training for two years from 1999 at the Kiwanis Job Training Centre in Taman Paramount", said the eldest of three siblings.

At the KDSF-NC, Eugene is in charge with the centre's toy library apart from helping the administrative staff with tasks like photo-copying and others.

Eugene's younger brother is a financial analyst based in Damansara Jaya while his sister is a PhD holder and has a career as an engineer in Green Technology in New Zealand.

Despite their condition, Down Syndrome children are 'blessed' with their own unique capability and speciality. Eugene is no exception.

Eugene is blessed with having the skills of drawing out beautiful pictures that have been used as greeting cards. Each year, his handiwork had drawn the attention of companies that printed thousands of greeting cards from his effort.

And, Eugene has his own way of giving back to the community.

"All the money that I earned from drawing the greeting cards, I donated to charity bodies", said the beaming Eugene.

The soft-spoken and 'very gentle' Eugene is also active in sports.

He makes regular appearances at the Special Olympics, an international games held for those with learning disabilities.

He won a gold medal in bowling at the 7th Invitational Bowling Tournament (for the disabled) held in Sabah in 2002. Another gold medal came his way at the Inter-State Bowling Competition held in November last year.

He also attended the Asia-Pacific Conference Athletics Leadership Programme in 2004.

According to Angie Heng, the administrative director for KDSF-NC, the centre recruited Eugene to show to the public that those with Down Syndrome are also capable of having their own career and be independent.

"People may think that Down Syndrome children would grow up to be dependent on others, but those like Eugene have proven that they can also be independent", she said.

Meanwhile KDSF-NC's Resource Officer Norzattul Syimma Mohd Norshah or Syimma said she likes to be with the children at the centre as the children "loves me to be with them in the classroom and I love their smile, happiness and warmth that welcomes me whenever I went into the classroom to join their session".

The 30-year-old Universiti Teknologi Mara (UiTM) graduate in Bachelor of Science (Honours) in Polymer Engineering hails from Seremban, Negeri Sembilan.

"Among my tasks is to meet and brief parents on the programmes and facilities available at KDSF-NC and explain to them the enrolment procedure", she said.

She also coordinates the placement of volunteers apart from performing general administrative tasks as well as looking for sponsorship and organising events and activities related to the centre.

Why join KDSF?

"I joined by coincidence and since then I enjoyed giving my service to them. It gives me a chance working while doing charity. I like special children because they are special in their own way", Syimma added.

For speech language pathologist Lim Jia Chuan, 26, she has been working with Down Syndrome children since her students days in Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia (UKM).

"I was given to study this course (Speech Sciences) and as time went by I realised that I like working with children.

"Since young, I had a strong urge to help people who are less fortunate. I guess by choosing a career as a therapist can fulfill my life purpose", she said.

What about special children?

"I like them. I always feel that they are angels sent by God to make people like us appreciate every single small thing. They made me to start appreciating life".