Saturday, October 2, 2010

British paratrooper, who is triple amputee, determined to return to Afghanistan

From The Oxford Times in UK:

A paratrooper who lost three limbs in a bomb blast has revealed he could be back in Afghanistan by January.

Corporal Tom Neathway’s injuries in 2008 injuries were so horrific he was not expected to live – but he recovered and now works as an administrator at RAF Brize Norton.

Last night the 27-year-old, of 2nd Battalion the Parachute Regiment, said he could be back in the war-torn country after completing his rehabilitation in the United States.

Cpl Neathway has been instrumental in training and helping 800 paratroopers to qualify for service.

He said: “I am still trying to go over to Afghanistan, and this may be in January.

“I do still also have to go back to the States to finish my rehabilitation and to improve the socket fit for my prosthetic limbs as they are the world’s best at it.”

Cpl Neathway lost both legs and his left arm when an improvised explosive device hidden under a sandbag went off while he was on patrol in Kajaki, northern Helmand Province, in July 2008.

He had his arm amputated at Camp Bastion before being flown back to the UK, where his legs were removed above the knee at Selly Oak Hospital, Birmingham.

But just four months later, Cpl Neathway was able to walk unaided to collect his Afghanistan campaign medal from Prince Charles.

And Cpl Nethway has revealed that a businessman replaced his £6,000 Apache FLX 320 quad bike after it was stolen from outside his family’s Worcester home.

Ed Dunn was so moved by the story that he offered to buy a replacement bike.

Cpl Neathway said: “This quad bike is a newer version of the one I had before.

“I had been so angry that my original one was taken.

“But it was great to meet Mr Dunn, he was so relaxed about it, and just said, ‘Here is a quad bike’.

“I am very thankful to him for doing this.”

Mr Dunn, managing director of an online perfume shop, said: “I was so angry when I read about it and it is horrible that it happened, so I just wanted to do what I could to help.

“This is the first time that I have met Tom and it is great to be able to give him the bike. He is a true hero.”

The news comes two weeks after a leaked Ministry of Defence document revealed up to 5,000 troops – which would include Cpl Neathway – could be discharged from the Armed Forces because they are medically unfit.

An MoD spokesman refused to comment on the leaked document but insisted there was no quota for numbers to leave the Army.