Saturday, October 2, 2010

Buffalo, N.Y., woman with computer-controlled prosthetic leg guides other amputees

From WBFO-TV:


BUFFALO, N.Y. -- A Buffalo woman who lost her leg 10 years ago is now a model for coping with such a loss and for a computer-controlled prosthetic leg.

Deborah Hanitz of Buffalo knows the importance of having someone around to answer those questions, someone who's already dealt with an amputation first-hand.

"I had a wonderful group of doctors and my family was very supportive and I couldn't ask for a better support system around me, but there's still a lot of questions and there's no one around that I could talk to and i felt very alone," said Hanitz.

Hanitz is part of a group called Amputee Empowerment Partners. She lends a helping hand to fellow amputees.

"Having someone to talk to,to cry with to guide, who has been through it. They have found has been very valuable to the patient :40 and that's what i do," said Hanitz.

And Hanitz is also now showing off her computer-driven prosthetic leg, called a C-Leg (pictured).

"It is actually a computerized knee, which whenever I need any type of adjustment I'm actually plugged in to a laptop computer. I have a little cord and I plug it into my leg," said Hanitz

It helps Hanitz maintain her independence, and keep in stride with others.

"I do use a walker, at home I use a cane, but when I'm walking with somebody I'm right next to them," said Hanitz.

And that's just how she likes it.