Friday, October 8, 2010

Kansas disabled coach told his wheelchair a hazard on the football field

From KCTV5:

OVERLAND PARK, Kan. -- An Overland Park father is upset about the restriction put on him as a coach of his son's youth football team.

Merrill Staton said he's been benched because his wheelchair has been labeled by league officials as a hazard to the players on the field.

The Football and Cheerleading Club of Johnson County said it's OK for Staton to be on the sidelines, he just has to stay behind the play with another coach in front of him to act as a buffer.

"I don't think there needs to be any difference between me and other coaches," he said. "It's hurt me."

Staton said he's not being treated in the same manner as other coaches, and it's not fair.

"I can move fast," he said. "I want them safe. There's no difference between me and anyone on the field."

And some of the parents agree with Staton.

Staton has appealed to the football league and will meet with officials on Monday night to try and get back on the field. He said he is concerned about the kind of message that is being sent to the kids he coaches.

"None of these kids ask why I'm in a wheelchair," Staton said.

For this weekend, however, he'll be right back on the sidelines trying to help the team from his designated area.