Sunday, October 3, 2010

Young artists with CP show their talent in Miami

From CBS4:

MIAMI ―- While cerebral palsy is a severe disability; it hasn't stopped a group of 23 youngsters from creating beautiful pieces of art.

The youngsters are part of a program called "Creative Children Therapy," designed to help those with severe disabilities express themselves through art.

"That's what we're about," said therapist Yani Rubio, "Giving kid's opportunities to succeed and to be part of this community; and to give them a voice because they do have it. You just have to help them find it."

Internationally renowned artist David LeBatard, known as "Lebo," collaborated with the program to create a special party style exhibit tonight at Miami Art Central. The exhibit will combine his works with the students. Half of the profits from the paintings sold tonight will benefit the CCT.

"To me, it gave me perspective," Lebo said. "I was always creating things and doing it one way, my way. This way, I was introduced to something new that's profound, special and unique."

Since many of the young artists can't speak or use their hands; they work with trained facilitators or, "trackers," who know how to communicate with the children to do the work for them.

"So the child gets to pick his canvas, the color, tools, everything and this tracker puts the child's thoughts and feelings onto the canvas," Yani said.

For Lebo, sharing the spotlight and his talents with special young artists has been a moving experience.

"I feel really grateful that I can tackle something that I do and am passionate about and combine it with these different kids that have, I think, the same passion I do- and we're able to make something larger out of it," Lebo said.