Friday, May 2, 2008

Albie the goat awaits prosthetic leg


Jenny Brown with Albie

The New York Times reported May 1 about Jenny Brown, a 36-year-old television producer turned animal rights advocate, who is helping an injured goat get a prosthetic leg.

The goat, Albie, was found in Prospect Park and taken to Brown's animal sanctuary in Woodstock, NY. Albie was malnourished and had a badly infected leg and hoof, which didn't respond to treatment and had to be amputated. It is suspected Albie was injured at a Brooklyn slaughterhouse from which he escaped.

Brown has been an amputee since she was 10 due to bone cancer, and her prosthetics technician is designing an artificial leg for Albie.

“I’ve been an amputee for most of my life, but I can run a farm, I can wrestle animals, I can carry bales of hay, thanks to modern prosthetics,” Brown said. “I thought it would be only fair to give Albie the same chance to live a normal life.”

Martin Rowe, a book publisher who lives in Carroll Gardens, ran the New York Marathon last fall to raise some of the money needed for Albie’s new leg.