Friday, January 22, 2010

Paraplegic dancer wows India

From Rediff News:


Kamlesh Patel (pictured) has conquered physical disability to become a wonder dancer. Paralysed in both legs, he overcame great hardships to become a performer and was one of the star performers on a dance reality show last year. Rajul Hegde profiles his gritty struggle and amazing success. Continuing our series on Extraordinary Indians.

The pride of Baroda, that is what many call Kamlesh Patel, a physically handicapped dancer who has given more than 1,000 performances in India and abroad. He maybe restricted because of his handicap, but what he has achieved due to his determination is an inspiration to many.

At the age of 5, Kamlesh fell ill. The local doctor gave him an injection but by the time the boy returned home, he couldn't walk. "I just collapsed," remembers Kamlesh. His panic-stricken parents took him to another doctor where they were told that a major nerve in his body was damaged. Both his legs were paralysed because he was administered the wrong injection.

A few years later Kamlesh was operated upon in Bangalore and Vishakapatnam, but there was no improvement. "I think it was God's wish that I remain handicapped. He wanted to send a message through me to all handicapped people what mental strength and passion can do to an individual," says the man who was the star of television reality show, Dance India Dance last year.

In school, other children made fun of him and Kamlesh felt sad about his disability. "They looked at me as though I was a specimen. I would get nervous and disturbed when I looked at other handicapped people. I just wished that I could do something for handicapped children so that they could be motivated and inspired by me," says Kamlesh.

His parents were keen that he complete his graduation and take up a job. They remained worried about him and did not want him to be a burden on anyone when he grew up. "They knew that dance was my passion from childhood, but felt that I couldn't make it a career since I was not a normal kid."

Though he completed his graduation in commerce, his interest lay in dance. "To become a good dancer I needed two legs, which I didn't have, but I had faith in God."