Sunday, April 4, 2010

The NY Times presents "The Voices of Autism"

April is Autism Awareness Month and April 2 was World Autism Awareness Day. Pictured is Camden Colston, who has severe autism and does not speak; he is learning to communicate through gestures and pictures.

From The NY Times:


The latest installment in the Patient Voices series offers a fascinating glimpse into the often silent world of autism.

You’ll hear stories from a parent of a young child with autism, a teenager with Asperger’s syndrome and a young man who communicates only by typing.

And you’ll meet Judy Endow, a woman who learned she had autism at age 54 only after her son was also given that diagnosis.

“It actually made my life a lot better,” she said. “It explained a lot of the things I had trouble with. It explained my way of thinking. It explained my sensory difference and pretty much explained all the challenges that I had in my life.”

Click on this link to hear all the voices of autism.