Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Elite disabled athletes prepare for Xl-Basauri Invitation in Spain this month

From The Times in South Africa:


Zimbabwean paralympian Elliot Mujaji (pictured) and South African blade runner Oscar Pistorius will be among athletes taking part in the Xl-Basauri Invitation athletics meeting in Spain at the end of this month.

Mujaji is a 100-metre double gold medallist from Sydney in 2000 and Athens in 2004.

Despite his accolades, Mujaji still doesn't have resources to prepare for international competitions.

"I am now 38 but I can still carry my body and because of that I am very competitive. I do not have a special trainer or training equipment but I have to make do with what is at my disposal," he said.

Mujaji, a top athlete, qualified to compete at the 1998 Commonwealth Games before suffering severe burns in an electrical accident while at work. His right arm was amputated, and he remained in a coma for two months.

"Before my injury I was competing for Shabanie Mine where I am employed. I am now assistant sports officer at Shabanie and my job is to train other athletes. That is how I am preparing for Xl-Basauri.

''While I train others I also train myself. I don't have a special trainer."

His day starts with a jog in the morning then just before sunset he takes to the track.

"I start by running in the morning for a few kilometres to prepare my body for the day. Then later in the afternoon I take to the track with the rest of the able-bodied athletes who I train," he said.

"At work I get days off to help me to compete in Spain. There is not much the company can do but offer moral support," he added.

Mujaji leaves Zimbabwe on May 25 and the two-day competition takes place from May 28.

He will compete in the 100 and 200 metre races for arm amputees. South Africa's Pistorius will take part in the leg amputee races.