Sunday, September 12, 2010

Joy Behar, guests ridicule Texas Taping for the Blind program

The transcript of that portion of "The Joy Behar Show" on Sept 9. Thanks to Kathi for the tip.


BEHAR: OK. Very good.

Now there`s another story that`s kind of interesting. There`s a non- profit group in Houston that reads "Playboy" over the radio for the blind. This is true. It`s not as farfetched as you think. I want to know a blind who only touched "Playboy" for the article.

(LAUGHTER)

BEHAR: Anyway, they`re called "Taping for the Blind" and they read the articles. The jokes, the letters and the pictures. OK? How -- would you tune in for this, Howard? First of all.

BRAGMAN: Well, you know, I`m probably not going to buy the magazine. So they`re not going to make a lot of money. "Playboy" really does have amazing articles. You look at their history through the decades. They`ve had -- they`ve had some of the best writers in the world. Some of the best interviews in the world.

BEHAR: Yes. But they describe the pictures. Let me read you a piece. All right? "She has a very large grin on her face, pink lipstick." This is great. "She has a small tattoo right over the small of her back over the dimple area, behind her shoulder, down past her arm, you can see her breasts peeking out. There were no tan lines at all. She`s not wearing any nail polish or jewelry or bathing suit or anything."

What`s with the nail polish? Is that a fetish for blind guys?

(LAUGHTER)

BRAGMAN: You`re asking me? Wait.

DANA: She said that she described the nail polish because sometimes it`s the only thing the models are wearing.

BEHAR: Oh.

DANA: Mental images.

LAKIN: Exactly.

BEHAR: I mean, don`t you think it`s odd that they have to do this for blind people? Or is it nice?

BRAGMAN: Someone read "Playgirl" to me with the Levi Johnston issue and I thought it was a great issue.

BEHAR: Right, really?

DANA: You know I would say --

BEHAR: You could see his gray matter right through the book.

DANA: As a journalist and as a member of this dying business of journalism, I`m just delighted to hear that people are reading magazines still. And I think if anyone wanted to read the "Daily Beast" which is where I work into the radio for anyone who would like to hear, I`d be thrilled.

BEHAR: Really?

DANA: Yes.

BEHAR: Thrilled.

LAKIN: I think now what they really should do for these blind men and, I guess, women who want to read "Playboy" is have sort of like a virtual, you know, thing. They can hear it and listen to it and they can read it in Braille and everything. Or maybe, someone can just do something, you know, for these groups of people. I don`t know, women could come and you could have an interactive sort of virtual thing going.

Look, it`s for the blind, people.

BRAGMAN: Joy.

BEHAR: So in other words, cop a feel? Is that what you`re saying?

LAKIN: That`s what -- cop a feel for the blind.

(LAUGHTER)

BEHAR: I think that`s your new charity.

LAKIN: Thank you.

BEHAR: Howard.

BRAGMAN: If it`s really cold, doesn`t that spell something, the two dots? That`s all I want to know.

BEHAR: I guess so.

All right. Thank you guys for all of this fascinating conversation we just had. And see Christine Lakin in "New Again" out September 24th.