Saturday, December 18, 2010

Heather Mills makes British Disabled Ski Team

From CTV in Canada:

Heather Mills (pictured) has been accepted onto the British Disabled Ski Team.

The charity campaigner -- who lost part of her left leg when she was hit by a police motorcycle in 1993 -- has been training to take part in the 2014 Paralympic Games in Russia and has now come a step further to achieving her dream.

She said: "I'm in the British Disabled Ski Team. I found out about six weeks ago and I'm very excited. Nobody is on the Paralympic Team until three months before those games. If you're lucky enough to get on the team, which I am, you get a trial for a year."

The 42-year-old star -- who has a seven-year-old daughter Beatrice with ex--husband Sir Paul McCartney -- is delighted by the welcome she has received from other disabled skiers.

She added to the Daily Express newspaper: "We get on really well. I managed to get some sponsorship to help with equipment because they are unfunded so they're very happy."

Heather -- who has previously competed on reality TV shows 'Dancing with the Stars' and 'Dancing On Ice' -- has previously said she hopes to inspire young disabled people with her Olympic dream.

She explained: "If I managed to compete, it would be phenomenal -- very inspiring for all the kids that I counsel.

"They didn't believe they could do anything and now they are trying ice skating and rollerblading and biking and swimming, which is wonderful.

"Having loved sport my whole life, competing in a Paralympics would be a dream come true."