Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Job seekers with disabilities face added struggles

From Channel 9 TV News in Denver:

GOLDEN, Colo. - Becky Bogart (pictured) is in a wheelchair and she's also in the same boat as many other Americans, she's looking for a job.

"The last two jobs that I didn't get I was telling my friend who is also disabled and I told her I couldn't believe I didn't get those jobs they were perfect for me. She said
'Well I hate to say it but when you're disabled it's different,'" Bogart said.

According to the latest statistics from the U.S. Department of Labor, there are more than 28-million people with disabilities in the United States. Less than half are employed.

"One of the most challenging things for them is the misconception that employers have about hiring individuals with disabilities. They believe it is expensive or they don't understand accommodations when in fact less than half of reasonable accommodations cost nothing at all to the employer," said Jill Howard.

Howard is a disability program navigator at the Jefferson County Workforce Center. Through grants paid for by the U.S. Department of Labor and Colorado Department of Labor and Employment, the disability program navigator initiative helps people with disabilities find jobs.

"There are specific and unique aspects for disabled people when they're looking for jobs. Arguably the number one priority is finding a job that is compatible with his or her disability," Howard said.

The latest jobs report clearly showed more Americans are unemployed. With more job seekers competing for a finite and seemingly shrinking number of jobs, Bogart has her concerns.

"I think an able bodied person could go out there and get a job easier than I can," said Bogart.

Opinions will vary about whether Bogart's assertion is true, but that isn't Bogart's biggest concern. She says with mounting debt, her family is falling behind on the mortgage payments. Bogart is an independent woman. Through the use of a mechanical lifter, she loads herself into her van and drives herself around.

"I do my own grocery shopping and take care of my kids," said Bogart.

When it comes to the job search, Bogart admits she needs help. Many other job seekers, disabled or otherwise, would likely feel the same when looking at the state of the economy.