Saturday, August 9, 2008

Kathy Griffin performs for disabled vets at Walter Reed

A shout out to Kathy Griffin, who will be visiting and performing for disabled vets at Walter Reed Medical Center, in her season finale of Season 4 of "My Life on the D-List" August 14.

Previews show it will be an emotional episode, which will be a far departure from her usual non-stop comedy in the "reality" show. I put "reality" show in quotes because what I love about the show is that Griffin is really doing a send-up of the reality show genre and is hilarious with all her strategizing about how to get off the D-list and how to get into the tabloids and onto the paparazzi's radar.

I also love that Griffin is what I call a First Amendment freedom fighter with her irreverent comedy. Most of her comedy is at the expense of those who can take it -- celebrities. And she has proudly been banned from "The View" -- twice! That's a true badge of honor.

Her "reality" show is a non-stop comedy act, but you can see when she does nice things for her 80-something mother that she is just playing everything for the laughs when the cameras are rolling and underneath the occasional vicious joke is a really sweet person. That, and the fact that her mom still talks to her even though she is the butt of so many of her jokes. My favorite one is about her mom's love of many glasses of wine -- "I was raised by a box of wine," Kathy quips.

So I know my blog isn't one of her beloved tabloids, but I feel I am doing my part to get her off the D-list. :-)