Sunday, August 10, 2008

Visually impaired but back on the board











Zac Adair


The Wilmington, N.C., Star News tells the story of Zac Adair, who became visually impaired in a car accident, but continues in the sport he loves -- surfing.

You can even watch a 5-minute video of Adair surfing at StarNewsOnline.

His is also a love story because his girlfriend, Celine Russo, who he met online when looking up surf therapy, is his surf partner in the water. Russo is assistant director at Maui Surf Girls, a surf school in Hawaii.

"I know I can get to the point where I can ride some really bigger, fast waves," Adair said. "We just have to go out there and get it to where she can put me in the exact spot where I need to be. Which usually entails a lot of getting worked over for me, and a lot of smiles and laughs for Celine," he said.

Adair is taking classes at Prescott College in Arizona in wilderness therapy and hopes to start a business using surfing to teach human development.