Thursday, March 26, 2009

Amputee builds USB finger

From Live News in Australia:

A software developer, who lost his finger in a motorcycle accident last year, has replaced it with a USB stick.

Jerry Jalava from Hilsinki in Finland (pictured) says the 2GB memory device built into his prosthetic finger has proven to be very handy.

The USB is covered by a nail, which peels back when he needs to transfer photos, movies and programmes.

“It is not attached permanently to my body so when I’m using the USB I just leave my finger inside the slot and pick it up when I’ve finished,” Jalava wrote on his blog, ProtoBlogr.net.

Jalava was inspired when doctors who treated him after his accident, joked he should create a ‘finger drive,’ after he told them his profession.

Jalava is already thinking of ways to upgrade his finger to include wireless technology and more storage.