Monday, April 11, 2011

Paralympics champion sets new world record in swimming

From BBC News:

Paralympic champion Sascha Kindred (pictured) continued his build-up for July's European Championships by breaking his 200m individual medley world record.

Kindred achieved the feat on day one of the British International Disability Swimming Championships in Sheffield.

His new time of two minutes 41.99 seconds beat the time of 2:42.18 he set in Eindhoven last year.

"The last four weeks' training has been tough because I've had an infection," Kindred said.

"So I wasn't that confident coming into this meet. But I am really chuffed with my form on the night. I just managed to dip under that 2:42."

Kindred, who has won six Paralympic golds, is the defending medley champion in his SM6 category and will be hoping to appear in his fifth Paralympics in 2012.