Sunday, March 22, 2009

Can-Am swimming championships underway in Oregon, new competitor joins U.S. Paralympics team

From the U.S. Paralympics Web site:

GRESHAM, Ore. - The U.S. Paralympics Women's Swimming National Team added a new face to their roster today at the 2009 Spring Can-Am Swimming Championships in Gresham, Ore.

Mallory Weggemann (Eagan, Minn.) has been swimming with the Paralympics for
less than a year. In her first official swim competition, the 19 year old has already shattered five American and Pan American records and is poised to break more March 22.

With her record breaking swim in the 400 freestyle (S6), Weggemann (pictured) officially made the U.S. Paralympics Women's Swimming National Team. The college freshman lowered the mark by more than 21 seconds.

"I was shocked when I looked up to see my time," said Weggemann. "My coach wanted me to go a 5.37.00, but when I saw I went 5.27.66 I was really excited."

Her coach Jim Andersen expected her to swim as fast as she has been over the past two days and hopes she will continue the trend into the last day of competition.

"She is a competitor," said Andersen. "She really wants to race and has the drive to do it. Being on the National Team is a motivating factor."

"It was a goal of mine coming into this meet to make the National Team," said Weggemann. "Now that I did it I just want to have fun with it."

Joe Wise (Menlo Park, Calif) broke his second American record of the competition this afternoon in the 200 individual medley (SM10).

With a time of 31.48, Tom Miazga (Milwaukee, Wisc.) broke the American record in the 50 freestyle (S8).

Jessica Long (Baltimore, Md.) is still dominant in the 400 freestyle (S8). Long won the gold medal in Beijing for the event and took home gold tonight with a time of 4.57.14.