The Los Angeles Times reported July 21 that "protesters from Autism United, a coalition of advocacy organizations, gathered today outside the New York City WOR radio studio, which employs Savage, parents such as Martin Schwartzman, whose 15-year-old son Robbie has autism, are up in arms."
"I couldn't understand why someone could be so heartless and so insensitive, and also so ignorant for a national talk show host," Schwartzman said on WCBS-TV.
According to the ADA Watch and the National Coalition for Disability Rights release, this is not the first time Savage has insulted people with disabilities. Interestingly, on his Web site, Savage says he knows "real" disability because "as the brother of a severely disabled person who suffered and died in a New York 'snake-pit' of a 'mental hospital,' I know first-hand what true disability is."
Savage seems genuinely pleased with all the ire he's stirred up. I personally think it's just a convenient method for him to raise his profile nationally. After all, he made it into the NY Times based on his controversial statements.
WASHINGTON -- The leader of a national coalition of disability, civil rights and social justice organizations called on Talk Radio Network to fire talk radio host, Michael Savage for his hateful attacks on children and adults with physical and mental disabilities.
Jim Ward, founder and president of ADA Watch and the National Coalition for Disability Rights (NCDR), stated: "ADA Watch/NCDR calls on Talk Radio Network to fire Michael Savage. As America prepares to celebrate the 18th anniversary of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) on July 26th, people with disabilities, parents, family members, friends and advocates across the nation are outraged over Savages latest attack on people with disabilities.
"His despicable assault on children with autism -- calling them frauds and brats -- is rightly being condemned as hateful and bigoted. But it is just the latest of Savages numerous and painful attempts to demean and disenfranchise people with disabilities."
Savage has also used his bully-pulpit to declare that:
- High levels of asthma impacting minority children was because the children got extra welfare if they were disabled. (July 2008)
- The handicapped workers at the Phoenix Cafe would drool and put dung in diners food. He made up names for the food on the menu, such as "nutburger."
- Members of the disability rights community are the Wheelchair Mafia.
- The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), the worlds first civil rights law for people with disabilities, should be called the Lawyers Improvement Act.
- His political opponents are degenerate slime bags with mental disorders and have a virus like leukemia.
- When he was younger, he touched the hand of a midget [Dwarf], it really freaked him out and, since that episode, he doesn't like public places. (June
- The autism lobby of devastated parents is just a scam to get more money.
ADA Watch and the National Coalition for Disability Rights (NCDR) is a coalition of national, state and local disability, civil rights and social justice organizations united to protect and promote the human rights of children and adults with physical and mental disabilities. NCDRs Road To Freedom bus, launched on November 15, 2006, is still on the road and has traveled more than 40,000 miles promoting social justice and economic opportunity for people with disabilities. For more information, go to www.adawatch.org and www.roadtofreedom.org.