Sunday, June 22, 2008

Blind mechanic realizes his dreams with hot rod team

Jay Blake

After being blinded in a work accident in 1997, truck mechanic Jay Blake decided that his goal for the rest of his life was to own a race team, The NY Times reports June 22.

Sixteen months after the accident, he went to a National Hot Rod Association (N.H.R.A.) event and kick started his dream.

“I was riding through the pits on Sunday,” Blake said, “and I stood up and said: ‘I’m going for it. I’m going to make this happen.’ ”

Blake is now the owner and the chief mechanic of an up-and-coming top-alcohol funny-car team that will enter about 12 drag-racing events this year. His team is currently at the N.H.R.A. SuperNationals at Old Bridge Township Raceway Park in New Jersey.

“I’m a regular guy who had a bad day at the office,” Blake said. “But this is what I created, and if I can do this, everyone else can.”

Blake created a Web site, http://followadream.org/, to follow the progress of the team and promote his sideline as a motivational speaker.