Thursday, June 19, 2008

Disabled children go on Olympic Tour in Beijing

In Beijing 56 youth ambassadors for China's 56 nationalities, most of whom are disabled, went on an "Olympic Tour" to preview the promised improvements coming with the Olympics in August, China Daily reports.

Sadly, one child was able to attend at the last minute because a child who was supposed to attend is missing due to the devastating earthquake in China.

Li Pan, 14, is attending in place of the earthquake victim, but he, too, lost his house and school in the earthquake. The teen, who is about to enter junior high school student, says the earthquake led him to some career decisions.

"I want to go to college in Beijing," said Li. "I want to help rebuild my hometown after graduation."

The five-day event for the children began June 18 and will take them to the "Bird's Nest", the Water Cube and the Great Wall.

"We plan to give every child the dream of the Olympics," said Wang Tao, a director of China's Disabled Persons Federation, "We want to tell them something. Something we found in the Olympics and the Paralympics, that is the Olympic Spirit and 'One World, One Dream'."

Gilijiamali from Xinjiang, a wheelchair user, danced to express her excitement at the Olympic Tour.

"It is my first time to have a flight on a plane and also my first time to go to Beijing," said Gulijiamali. "In my hometown, everyone can sing if she can speak and everyone can dance if she can walk. I can walk myself and I will dance for this big family."