Monday, July 14, 2008

Dame Evelyn Glennie learning sign language

Dame Evelyn Glennie


The famed deaf percussionist from Scotland has revealed that she has finally decided to try her hands at sign language.

The Times in the UK reports that Dame Evelyn Glennie, 42, who has been profoundly deaf since she was 12, is taking time from hectic international performing schedule to learn sign language. Glennie has a tiny amount of hearing with little volume or good sound quality. She can hear a person talking, but must lip-read to understand each word. In her drumming, she detects the drum vibrations, especially through her feet, so she performs barefoot.

"It is something of a change of heart for the world’s most famous deaf percussionist," The Times says. "In the question and answer section of her Web site it still states, somewhat defensively, that she has no use for signing as she can lip-read 'perfectly.' So why now, after all these years?"

Her answer:

“I’ve been curious about it for a long time, but it takes a long time to do,” she says. “I’ve only now thought about what sign language really means, what it is, and what I feel it can bring to my situation.”

“My views have been as a musician and a person who has been deafened rather than born deaf,” she says. “I’ve always been determined to hold onto the oral aspect of communication: my whole profession is about sound and projecting sound and receiving sound.

“In my work, people don’t care whether I’m hearing-impaired or I’ve got one leg. When you’re playing with an orchestra, you’re expected to deliver the goods. I can’t just say: ‘Make an exception for me.’

“I had to get on with it and produce at the highest level. That attitude took over in the past, but your life changes and the choices you make change. I have a different view now, and I think it’s good to keep an open mind.”


Glennie and her office staff are learning sign language together, with British Sign Language posters on the walls and watch DVDs or online tutorials.

To learn more about Dame Evelyn Glennie, an excellent documentary about her is "Touch the Sound."