Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Chicago Marathon runner sets new world record for leg amputees

From Richard Whitehead's Web site:

Double amputee marathon runner Richard Whitehead (pictured) set a new world record time for a leg amputee at the 2009 Chicago Marathon (11 October 2009) with a time of 2 hours, 50 minutes and 38 seconds.
Smashing his previous efforts, Whitehead became the first ever leg amputee to break the 3 hour barrier at the Rome Marathon earlier this year, where he ran a time of 2 hours and 56 minutes.

Whitehead was delighted with the result, he said:

“I can’t quite believe it, I have been training extremely well and I felt that I could run a very fast time in Chicago, however I didn’t expect to break my previous record, I am thrilled. Initially I was little concerned about the cold conditions but the quick course and the amazing support from the crowd gave me inspiration.”

On setting a new world record, Whitehead still has some major goals for the future, he continued:

“Running a new world record time is evidence that my training is going well, but also gives me the confidence to push myself harder toward my ultimate goal – competing in the London 2012 Paralympic Marathon. The time I have achieved in Chicago is one step closer to realising this dream. Once I return to the UK I will sit down with my coach, Liz Yelling and plan the next stage of my training and running development.”