Monday, June 16, 2008

Father, son bond through sky diving

Casey Deegan, who has Down syndrome, prepares for his jump.


The Chicago Tribune did a Father's Day story and photo essay about Mike and Casey Deegan, who share a passion for sky diving. Casey, 32, who has Down syndrome, asked to give it a try after his father jumped for the first time two years ago.

After initially saying "No way," Mike Deegan tracked down a Texas family whose daughter has Down syndrome and is an avid sky diver. They said he should let Casey give it a go.

With 10 jumps now completed, Casey still loves sky diving and the way it makes him feel.

"I like it because I have butterflies in my tummy," he says. "I like baseball, but it doesn't give me butterflies."

Casey also gave an important lesson to his tandem master Scott Ayer to not underestimate someone with Down syndrome. Ayer now says Casey listens well, making him a better-than-average student.

"Before I jumped with him, I'm thinking if 25 percent of the people freak out, he will be part of the 25 percent because he has Down syndrome," Ayer says. "I won't judge people like that again."

(There's a video on the Trib Web site, so you can watch Casey jump.)